Thursday, April 7, 2011

IVIG tomorrow!

For those of you who don’t know what PIDD is- it is an immune disease that stops your antibodies from producing properly. For me it has specifically affected my IgG antibodies which helps me fight off things like the flu, pneumonia and all of that fun stuff. As of now, there is no way to tell how or why this happened to my body but there is a way to replace the antibodies and that is through intravenous immunoglobulin. They actually take extracted antibodies from donated blood (from over 10,000 donors) and put them together in an IV so that I can put them into my blood. This has to be done about every three weeks (depends on the person) and I am having my first IV tomorrow. Ah! I’m so excited to see if it works and also incredibly nervous since the process is long and there can be some side-effects. Luckily I have a whole team of support that is going to be with  me tomorrow to make sure everything goes smoothly. I want to keep track of how I felt before, during and after so that other people can know what to expect or can consider this as a possible option.

Send me positive thoughts and wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment