Friday, April 8, 2011

first IVIG & fan club

Today I had my first ever IVIG at my local hospital's infusion center. I was so nervous before-hand since I didn't know what to fully expect. As soon as we got there they took me back to my own room and got me "hooked up". The worst part of the whole day was when my veins decided not to cooperate. I nearly passed out from being poked so many times. 
Once the IV line was set – my new “liquid gold” called “Gamma Guard” arrived.  My IVIG fan club were ready to keep me entertained for the next 6  hours.  My boyfriend, John,  took charge of movies and games – we watched “Harry Potter” and played Gin ( I, of course, won.).  My Mom called it the official gathering of the “Gamma Guard Gin Club”.  My Mom and Susan packed a cooler with my SCD foods and kept me happy and fed through the whole thig.  Occasionally, my arm would burn and I felt a little funny – the nurses were great at helping me get through it.  They brought warm blankets to keep my arm relaxed because the fluid was pretty cold. One thing  I kept thinking about were the THOUSANDS of people who donated blood to make my IVIG – I have a new appreciation.  I am so anxious to see how I feel in the coming days, weeks, and months.  I almost can’t remember what it feels like to feel well but my hopes are high! 

Pictures from today:
 (Gamma Gaurd Girl)
           (Gamma Gaurd Gin Club)

No comments:

Post a Comment