Wednesday, October 19, 2011

be well (almond flour)



Let me start out by saying that almond flour is my life line - I use it every single day. I use it as an alternative to wheat and rice flour since my diet is so strict but the more I learn about it, the more I think everyone should use it in their diet! First of all, it is incredibly tasty. Secondly, it is so full of nutrients (especially when compared to white flour) - in just one cup there is 21 grams of protein, 12 g of fiber, 728 mg of potassium, 474 mg of phosphorus, 275 mg of magnesium and it is packed full of beneficial amino acids - plus it's low in carbohydrates and low in sugars! Almonds have also been said to keep blood sugar stable, help keep food flowing through your colon easily, improves complexion and even help prevent some cancers. Antioxidants galore! How could you possible go wrong?! Besides it being a little expensive for a one pound bag but I recently was sent to a website called Lucy's Kitchen and ordered my first 5 lb bag of almond flour - even with shipping I saved over half of what I would've spent in stores. Immediately when it got here I started baking and cooking like crazy and let me tell you - this stuff is so good. The best almond flour I've had so far, hands down! So, if you ever decide you want to add some protein to your pancakes please check out this website: /www.lucyskitchenshop.com/

*One last thing, if you do buy some almond flour I would suggest putting it in glass jars and putting one in the fridge for immediate use and the rest in the freezer. It's not necessary, the flour won't go bad and most people probably keep it in their cupboards but I've heard from others and seen a difference myself that it tastes fresher!  

Side note: I'm going to try to post a lot more on this blog and hopefully there will be more recipes for ya'll to try - or if you're near by then come on over and try something new and delicious!

Hope you're all having a good day! Go out and snack on some almonds!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! I've been on the hunt for a new flour that isn't just "multi-purpose gluten-free." I'm about to go buy five pounds of almond flour... <3

    ReplyDelete